Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 4, 2017

The year that everything changed...

The title speaks for itself, I believe.

This year has been an interesting year full of changes for the better. They weren't all easy changes, but the were worth it. For example, I am now a vegan- which I thought would be really hard, and actually was one of the best things I have done for myself. (6 months now!) I also did that "konmari" method when you get rid of all of the unnecessary items your life. It was a long process but I feel so much more comfortable in my surroundings and know where everything is! 

This post is all about those tough changes that end up being for the best. This year has been a big struggle as it has been one of those "slow years" as we call it in the business. As a Canadian opera singer (and specifically a coloratura soprano), you can be lucky some seasons with repertoire and gigs, and other years you can be fighting each month to make rent. This year was one of those "testing years" where you aren't sure what will happen, but you just trust. 

This year I decided to change the way I look at the business and art. I started trying to "make a difference" with art. My concert/group "We Are Women" has really helped me in many ways to remind me why I do this job. It has been hard work and many hours, but we are able to make a difference in a concrete way, while bringing awareness to women's issues as well as empowering women through song. We took some of our most personal life situations and have integrated them into a script and have tied them into a cabaret style program. We speak about sexual harassment, body image, abusive relationships, competitiveness, etc. but we find a fun and positive spin through the songs and anecdotes. We are donating a portion of the proceeds to local women's charities which makes it all feel more concrete.

This is different for us than doing "fundraising concert" as it is on our own terms and we are self-producing this show. We have no funding (even though that would be nice!) and we hoping that it will all workout. It definitely has been a risk! We have had some really positive feedback and it has refreshed my idea of the business and has taught me a lot of new skills! I am so grateful. I find it also has had a great effect on my opera singing. 

When you have a purpose, things change. So, I encourage you to go out there and find your "thing." Whether it be saving the animals and environment by being a vegan, giving back to your community, learning a new language, cleaning your house or taking an extra yoga class to find your grounding. I encourage you to try new things and look at your surroundings in a new light. Only by pushing your boundaries will you grow!

Happy soul searching! 

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WeAreWomenCabaret/


No comments:

Post a Comment